Last updated on May 1, 2020.
“Laya” means Rythm and “Kari ” means doing . It is basically everything related to rhythm of music i.e. singing ,dance and intrumental. Though Laya and Layakari are different from each other being Laya has three forms :
1. Vilambit-Slow Tempo for e.g. Bilambit ektaal. Generally Bada Khayal is sung in this.
2. Madhya -Medium tempo for e.g. Madhya Tritaal
3. Dhrut-Fast Tempo.
Layakari has following types:
1. Thaay – Foremost while singing ,One beat is decided for every note.It is also known as Ekgunki.
1 2 3 4 (every digit denotes one beat).
2. Adhgun – In this ,Two beats is decided for one notes or words.So every Swar is increased by one beat to make it half.It is denoted by a dash(-).
1 – 2- 3 – 4 –
3. Dugun – For one beat two words are sung.Two beats are joined together and is generally denoted by a curve under two words.
12 34 56 78.
4. Teegun – For every single beat three words are sung.
123 456 789 .
In the same way Chaugun(four), Panchgun(five), Chagun(six) are also there.
5.Aad- Uneven form of layakari is known as Aad. The beats and notes don’t follow a straight form like dugun or chaugun. In this I beat has 3 notes or 4 beats have 5 notes etc. Aad is also known as Dergun i.e. in 2 beats # notes are sung.